One of my three ideas to write about is homeschooling. I believe that homeschooling is great, but it should be kept to a minimum. People take it way too far as to trying to teach their kids things that they never even learned. I also think that if you are going to homeschool, your kids should be required to go to a school to take a test about the things they have learned. I know a family that has kids that just don't go to school, but they claim to the state that they do. This isn't supposed to be allowed, but the state doesn't make it so they have to take tests showing that they are learning. Also I believe that there should be a curriculum they should follow so they are learning things to the level that kids in regular school are learning.
Another topic that I could write about is high school sports. Sports are great! They are just taken to a level that shouldn't be reached in high school. Last year during softball, we had a rocketry meeting that we had to look nice for. Because of this, another girl and I wanted to get out of practice early enough to shower/get ready, but our coach wouldn't let us out until last minute. She was risking our grades for her own sake. I have also heard stories about coaches not letting kids do certain things for classes just because they want them to be at practice instead. I am not at all saying that high schools shouldn't have sports, but they should be no where as intense as they are.
The last topic that I came up with to write about is teenage pregnancy. To me, it is common sense that there are so many ways to prevent this; the most effective being abstinence of course. Television promotes teen pregnancy so much that it is ridiculous. I think that it needs to be cut out of shows, commercials, and everything else that media glorifies it with. I also think that if teen celebrities get pregnant, they should be cut off of all ties to the media. This being said, media is not the only way that girls see it. I know that it doesn't go on in Orion, but it sure happens in other schools. I know that at least Cambridge, Sherrard, and Rockridge all have had girls that had babies while in high school that are seniors now. This is not good. Girls in middle school and elementary school look up to high schoolers and if they are seeing this, what will they think when they get to high school? They will think that it is okay. It is not okay! You are ruining your plans for college and your future when you have a baby before you are financially stable, especially when you are in high school.
What do you mean by they go too far by teaching things they never learned? Just confused what you mean by that statement. There seems to be a LOT out there about homeschooling vs public vs private schooling. I bet you could get a really good argument going.
ReplyDeleteHigh school sports and the expectations could also be a good topic. I'm sure there are plenty of firsthand accounts written that would help you!
Teenage pregnancy has been written about a lot, so you'd have a lot to draw upon!
Well thought out topics!
10/10